The Hamburg Chamber
The Hamburg Chamber of Skilled Crafts is a public corporation and organised self-governing body for the entire skilled crafts sector in Hamburg.
The task of the Chamber of Skilled Crafts is to represent the interests of the entire skilled crafts sector and to regulate the interests of the skilled crafts sector itself in the course of self-administration.
The Chamber of Skilled Crafts and Small Businesses includes the owners of a skilled craft business and craft-like trades as well as journeymen, employees with completed vocational training and apprentices. It thus represents more than 15,000 companies with about 129,000 employees in the 93 crafts and 54 crafts-like trades represented in Hamburg.
Location and history
The guilds that came into being in the Middle Ages are considered the forerunners of guilds and chambers. In 1873, all crafts in Hamburg united in the Chamber of Trade, which later became the Chamber of Crafts.
At that time, the Chamber of Trade was an organisation for industry and crafts.
The industry has been represented by the Chamber of Commerce since 1934.
Since 1915, the Hamburg Gewerbehaus at Holstenwall 12 has been the seat of the former Hamburg Chamber of Commerce, now the Hamburg Chamber of Crafts.
The building was financed and designed by the City of Hamburg. The Hamburg coat of arms above the date of completion above the entrance door was the usual sign for “state buildings” at that time. The background to this project was the precarious social situation in the city and the need to provide jobseekers with “proof of employment”. This took place in the guild wing, in the form of an open gallery over 6 levels with direct access from the street to the “waiting hall for job seekers” set up in the basement.
Fritz Schumacher, the then head of the building construction office, who worked here as an architect, later described the realisation of the space programme for the 2500 m² site with a buildable area of approx. 1700 m² as a “real magic box”.
In 1989, the city of Hamburg sold the property plus building to the Hamburg Chamber of Trade so that an urgently needed underground car park could be built in the inner courtyard.
Since 1 May 2013, the “Gewerbehaus” has been a listed building.